Sunday, October 28, 2012

Mashed Potatoes

I am an advocate for a special dinner on Sunday night. Sunday is a day to try recipes that you actually have time to make or make a family favorite recipe that requires hours of simmering. Occasionally I will make mashed potatoes, and tonight was one of those nights. I do not think much of it, but Joe loves my mashed potatoes, and I don't even have to trick him into eating them! :)

Here's how I do them:

Take 1 small potato (size of a lady's fist or smaller) per person eating, peeled and cubed, and the equivalent amount of cauliflower, cut into florets, and place on a steamer basket in a large pot. Steam potatoes and cauliflower until tender. Tonight, I used two small potatoes and equivalent cauliflower (approx 1/3 of a head of cauliflower) and let it steam approx 12 minutes.

Drain the cauliflower and potatoes. Remove the steamer basket from the pot and return potatoes and cauliflower to pot. Place pot back on hot burner (turned off, but still hot). Leave uncovered and shake the pot a bit for a few minutes. This allows the steam to escape, leaving you with fluffy mashed potatoes in the end, not watery ones!

Let the steam escape for approx 5 minutes, shaking the pot every few minutes to prevent burning. You will see the steam begin to fade. Then, take your potato masher and mash away. I add approx 1 tablespoon of Earth Balance buttery spread, a heaping tablespoon of horseradish, salt and pepper to taste. That's it.

At dinner, Joe said to me, "You should really tell people about these. They are really delicious and healthy." So here you go. By request of my Southern man who loves nothing more than mashed potatoes loaded with butter (2 sticks minimum), sour cream, whole milk, and bacon.

Sometimes I think we make things "too healthy" and don't actually enjoy them. Potatoes are a nutritious food. But when we add the butter, sour cream, whole milk and bacon, the fat begins to overpower the nutritional benefit of the potato itself. By adding the cauliflower, we can increase the portion size a bit AND bump up the fiber intake. A win-win situation.

I apologize for not having pictures, we ate everything! :) Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. cheap accustomed to not be bothered, accustomed billig uggs bailey button ugg sko norge to sleeping in class. I see you sitting in the ugg australia norge second row, right, sitting cheap right side, ugg sko norge how kind. Okay, so what arrangements you lived ugg sko norge About the college uggs norge nettbutikk entrance examination, the learning task is very heavy ah, continue to let you sit ugg sko norge behind a very slow you learn ah. in while on the go. Saw a classroom inside cheap ugg sko norge said. I still want to sit in the back, where quiet.

    ReplyDelete